While streaming services are very useful and convenient, not everyone has constant access to the high-speed internet required for it. A majority of movie and TV show buffs decide to store their favourite movies and TV shows on their own computers and hard drives. However, this is most often easier said than done because video files take up a whole lot of storage space. The best solution to this scenario is good quality file compression.
If you decide to compress files before you store them, then you will first need to know everything about the main factors that affect file size. This info will also help you understand the main factors that you should consider while you are compressing video files. By understanding all of these important deciding factors, you will be able to compress and store all of your video and audio content in an inexpensive and space-efficient manner.
Factors That Affect File Size
Before talking about the factors that affect video file compression, you first need to understand the factors that affect video file sizes in the first place. This information will help you to make the right choices while you start to compress your movies and shows.
- Duration of the video: So the first factor that affects the file size of video files in general is the duration of the video. A video that is 2-3 hours long is obviously going to store much more information than a video that is only 10 minutes long. As a result of this, videos of longer durations have significantly larger sizes than those with comparatively shorter durations. Even though it is very basic, this factor is actually quite important.
- Bitrate of the video: The bitrate of a video is the amount of data/information that the video utilizes in unit time. Bitrate is a statistic that is usually measured in the number of bits per second, which is also the origin of its name. The bitrate of a video is directly connected to the file size of the video. Quite simply, the file size of a video can be obtained by multiplying the bitrate of the video with its duration. If you want your video file to not suffer any loss of quality, then you have to maintain the minimum bitrate for it. If the bitrate is not sufficiently high, then there is going to be quality loss.
- Codec of the video: A video codec is a patch of software that both encodes and decodes digital video information. Basically, it is a sort of tool that is used to compress and decompress a video file so that it can be played suitably. The video codec is instrumental in determining the bitrate of the video, and is thus a major factor that affects the file size of the video as well. The better the video codec, the more efficient the compression and decompression. More advanced codecs such as H-265 can support a higher bitrate than codecs like H-264.
Factors That Affect Video Compression
To make sure that your video compression task does not adversely affect the quality of the video, you have to take into consideration all the factors that affect file compression. If you do that, then you will be able to compress your video files properly. Here are the important factors that affect video file compression.
- RAM of the computer: The memory or RAM of your computer has a significant role to play in the quality of your video file compression. Computers with more RAM will be able to encode/decode the video properly and compress it quickly without any loss of quality. One of the best ways to compress video files is to save them in a format that provides good quality while having a very low file size – such as MKV and MP4.
- Processing speed of the computer: The processing speed of your device will also affect the end quality of your compressed video. A computer with a faster and better processor will be able to preserve the high definition quality of your video file while minimizing and optimizing the end file size. If you want to compress and store video files on a regular basis, then you have to invest in a computer with a powerful processor and other important hardware.
- Quality of the compression software: If you want to compress video files reliably, then you have to use software of extremely high quality. Along with the memory and processing power of the computer, the stability provided by the compression software is going to be extremely important. If you want to compress, convert and manage your video and audio files reliably, then you should definitely check out the Wondershare UniConverter. It will help you to manage your video files properly.
How to use Wondershare UniConverter
If you follow these steps, then you will be able to install and use Wondershare UniConverter on your Microsoft Windows or Apple device. This amazing software will allow you to compress video and audio files comfortably and reliably without having to compromise on video quality.
- Step 1: Download the Wondershare UniConverter application and install it on your computer. After installing is complete, launch the program.
- Step 2: After launching the program, switch to the Video Compressor section and click on the “+” icon to choose files.
- Step 3: After choosing the file you want to compress, open Settings and modify the video details as you like. Some of the important details that you have to keep in mind include the format of the file, bitrate of the file, the video resolution, preferred output file size, etc.
- Step 4: Wondershare UniConverter’s software will allow you to access a preview of the compressed video file for 20 seconds.
- Step 5: After you are satisfied with the results, you just have to press the Compress button. The software will start the automatic encoding and compression process on its own.
This is all the information that you need to know to convert and compress video files in the proper way.